|Southampton, England’s historic Chawton House Library|
frequented by “Pride and Prejudice” author Jane Austen
1 March 2013 – In celebration of the 200th anniversary of Jane Austen’s classic “Pride and Prejudice,” Cunard Line will offer a special site tour highlighting the famed author’s regional ties to Southampton, England, Cunard’s home port.
Four-day, three-night tours are available pre- and post-sailing for select Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Crossings and Europe voyages between April and December of this year, and include lodging and select meals.
Site visits include:
- Jane Austen’s House Museum: Tour the 17th century Chawton village home where Austen wrote many of her major works
- Winchester Cathedral: Pay respects at Austen’s burial site and view an exhibition of her life and work
- Chawton House Library: Visit this historic manor, which Austen frequented, featuring a robust collection of 18th century women’s literary works
- Salisbury Cathedral: While viewing the original Magna Carta, tour the location for the 1995 award-winning film, “Sense and Sensibility,” which was based on the eponymous Austen novel
|The 17th century home in the Chawton village where|
Jane Austen wrote some of her major literary works
Sample 2013 voyages featuring these pre- and post-voyage tours include, but are not limited to, the following:
- 17 July for the seven-day 20 July westbound Transatlantic Crossing from Southampton to New York
- 5 August for the seven-day 8 August westbound Transatlantic Crossing from Southampton to New York
- 29 September for the seven-day 22 September eastbound Transatlantic Crossing from New York to Southampton
- 11 December for the 11-day 30 November Iberian Serenade roundtrip from Southampton
Evenings aboard Queen Mary 2 are filled with Royal Nights themed balls, where guests can dance the night away to a live orchestra in the Queens Room, the largest ballroom at sea; while days are spent visiting grand destinations and, for sea days, with leisurely activities such as perusing more than 8,000 books in the largest library at sea, enjoying traditional white-gloved afternoon tea, or exploring the cosmos in Illuminations, the only planetarium at sea.
For more information about the special “Pride and Prejudice” 200th Anniversary site tours, visit http://www.cunard.com/janeausten.
For more information about Queen Mary 2 or to book a voyage, consult your Travel Agent at 1-800-728-6273 or visit www.cunard.com.
# # #About Cunard Line
Cunard Line, operator of the luxury ocean liners Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth, has long been synonymous with the quest for new discoveries and the epitome of British refinement since the company's first paddle-wheeled steamer, Britannia, crossed the Atlantic in 1840. Cunard voyages bring together like-minded travellers who seek a civilised adventure and relish the Cunard hallmarks of impeccable White Star Service, gourmet dining and world-class entertainment. Today, Cunard offers the only regularly scheduled Transatlantic liner service and continues the legacy of world cruising which it began in 1922.
World’s Leading Cruise Lines
Cunard is a proud member of World's Leading Cruise Lines. Our exclusive alliance also includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Costa Cruises and Seabourn. Sharing a passion to please each guest and a commitment to quality and value, World’s Leading Cruise Lines inspires people to discover their best vacation experience. Together, we offer a variety of exciting and enriching cruise vacations to the world's most desirable destinations. Visit us at www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com
Cunard can be found on: